Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jane Austen Throwdown: Happy Father's Day, Mr. Bennet

Gentle Readers: Today is Father's Day. What better way to honor the Bennet pater familias than to recall some of Mr. Bennet's caustic remarks? Vote for your favorite quote, Jane fans! If you have a better one to share from Pride and Prejudice, please leave it in your comment section.


Quote One: Mr. Bennet respects Mrs. Bennet's nerves

"Mr Bennet how can you abuse your own children in such a way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves!

You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.

Quote Two: Lizzie must make a choice after Mr. Collins' proposal

An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do." (Ch. 20)

Quote Three: Wickham and Lydia say goodbye to the Bennets after their post-marriage visit to Longbourn

"Mr Wickham's adieus were much more affectionate than his wife's. He smiled looked handsome and said many pretty things.

"He is as fine a fellow," said Mr Bennet as soon as they were out of the house, "as ever I saw. He simpers and smirks, and makes love to us all. I am prodigiously proud of him. I defy even Sir William Lucas himself to produce a more valuable son in law!


No comments:

Post a Comment