Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fine eyes or beautiful eyes?

I am reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and I have just reached the part where Miss Hale has refused Mr. Thornton's marriage proposal. What caught my attention - apart from Mr. Thornton's firm intention to continue to love her despite her rejection - was one of his final thoughts while wandering around the city of Milton as he tried to compose himself after leaving the Hale home:

He could remember all about it now; the pitiful figure he must have cut; the absurd way in which he had gone and done the very thing he had so often agreed with himself in thinking would be the most foolish thing in the world; and had met with exactly the consequences which, in these wise moods, he had always foretold were certain to follow if he did make such a fool of himself. Was he bewitched by those beautiful eyes, that soft half open sighing mouth which lay so close upon his shoulder only yesterday?

Is this thought a tribute, inspiration or just a coincidence in reminding me of Elizabeth Bennet's "beautiful eyes" (fine eyes ") ? What do you think? There is much to compare between Margaret Hale and Elizabeth Bennet; there are many differences too.

Although I love Jennifer Ehle, the smile and the eyes of Elizabeth Garvie are my favourite for Lizzie.
As to Miss Hale, I have only Daniela Denby-Ashe's eyes, and they are lovely!

I must confess that I need many rereadings to effectively understandthe dialogues of North and South's working classes with their abbreviations and an almost biblical language. I'm not sure that I have yet reached that point. But I have no doubt that North and South is a delightful reading despite my difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment